Saturday, February 11, 2012

Day 42 - Saturday

Yesterday was so beautiful, but today Old Man Winter closed in again and dumped about six inches of snow on us.  It wasn't good weather for walking, of course, but I did enjoy watching the sparrows at my feeder.  I was also able to process my pictures from my walk by the lake yesterday, so I have a nice selection for today!

When the seed lump gets small, it's hard for the sparrows to reach it.
This clever female solved the problem brilliantly!

A starling is a rare visitor at the feeder, and I had a chance to see that they are starting to get their spring plumage.





LAKE GIBSON


I was thrilled to see a Belted Kingfisher buzzing and chattering around the lake.
These small palm-sized bumps of moss were like hidden emeralds under the dull brown fallen leaves.

This stand of brush had a peculiar colour pattern, looking like it had been spray painted with an orange paint.

A small flock of common mergansers were on the lake, obviously thinking about pairing up.    They wouldn't let me get close enough for a good shot though, but I managed to get this shot at a great distance.

Dead leaf and bubbles in a frozen puddle 

Water races down a flat slope of concrete, pouring out of one area of the pond, and on into the watercourse that goes past the old mill.  Ice builds up on the edge, and moss grows in the cracks.

Mergansers near the far shore

Everywhere I look, the landscape is brown and grey.  These clusters of small red berries are a small splash of bright colour!

I love shooting various kinds of fungus, but it's a rarity in winter.  Another sign of spring?



No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to read your comments! Simply post below.