Friday, March 2, 2012

Day 62, Friday

My dear mother was an English war bride from WWII.  She was born and raised in the Potteries area of Staffordshire, which was the district where the famous English china was made.  During the war, all the china produced in England was earmarked for export, in order to bring some money in to support the British war effort, so my mother's mother gave her a sort of IOU for a set of china as a wedding gift.  By the time the English were allowed to buy china again, Mom and Dad had been married for some time.

Through the years, Mom carefully packed and moved her treasured china set many times over their almost seventy years of marriage.  She had it all put away when us kids were small, and when I had my first daughter, my Mom passed it on to me.  Now this beautiful set of china is one of my most treasured possessions.

PS:  I'm going to choose one of these images for a print for Mom's 90th birthday next month.  So if you know her, don't tell!








No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to read your comments! Simply post below.